image

image

Saturday 20 July 2019

2019 Ironman 70.3 Muncie



After a great start to the 2019 season at Oceanside, I was ready to keep the momentum going. Ironman 70.3 Muncie race would be special for several reasons. First, my goal was for this race was to get a PB (more on my goals later). Second, my wife was coming with me. Third, my parents would be at this race. Everything was stacking up for great race with a lake swim with a flat bike course in my home state.

(photo from ironman.com)
We flew into Indianapolis Thursday morning and headed straight to our Airbnb. After a supply run we drove the bike course. I made mental notes of areas were I could hold back, go hard, and landmarks that would help me break up the monotony of the flat farmland. Right before the first turn around was a little residential area with an American flag in one of the font lawns. 

On the way back to our Airbnb, we stopped off at Ironman Village to get a prepaid parking spot at a house across the street. If you do this race, I highly recommend this. It was $20 (US) and guaranteed you a spot all weekend. Granted there was free parking at the venue, but it was first-come-first-serve.  Plus, it was right across the street from transition and made leaving super easy.

We woke up early Friday for Athlete Check-In and the race briefing. After check-in, we checked out the vendors. We also found out that the swim course was changed. Instead of being a triangle, it was now a skinny rectangle. They did this to reduce the time swimming into the sun. Of course they did this after I bought new polarized goggles specifically for swimming into the sun.

We had some time between check in and the briefing, so I went for a little swim. The water was very warm and I began to ponder using my wetsuit or not. Andrew had said, if given the option, use the wetsuit. But I was afraid of over heating.


At the race briefing, the race director informed us that the race was 'wetsuit optional.'  BUT, if you wore a wetsuit, you would start at the back of the swim start and be ineligible for awards. While in no danger of getting any awards, I did worry about starting in the back.  It would not put me in a good mental place knowing I was that far back. And it would mean more time in the sun later in the day on the bike and run. After a quick chat with Andrew online, we opted for no wetsuit.

After the race briefing, I did my transition recon. I was in a good spot for bike out and run out, but not the best for swim in or bike in. I did however have a great visual landmark to find my row.



Afterwards we drove the run course. It was long, very rolling, and had almost no shade. This would be a challenge. Luckily, there would be aid stations every mile. With the weather predicted to to be 95F with the heat index, hydrating would be essential. Just like the bike course, there was a large American flag just before the turn around.

We went back to the Airbnb for final prep before meeting my parents for dinner. Then it was final prep and a very restless sleep.

Before we get into race day, let's chat about my goals for this race. I knew this course played to my strength on the bike. Monday before the race, I met with Andrew for my race plan meeting. We went over my previous 70.3 races, my training data, and the Muncie course. Andrew and I were very excited and confident I could get a personal best at this race. 

I set 3 goals: Come in under 3 hours on the bike, come in under 3 hours on the bike, and come in under 7 hours overall.  I've done the bike under 3 hours once at Arizona where I also came in under 7 hours (my current PB). I've come under 3 hours on the run at both Tremblant and Oceanside. I felt very confident with all 3 goals.

We got up at 4am to pack up the car and make it to the race by 5:30. We parked and went to setup my transition.

(Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
After setting up and doing my walk through, we waiting for the warm up swim area to start.


After some stretching and warming up, I went in the lake for a warm up swim. After the warm up, my parents were there. I spoke with them for a bit, but needed to line up and focus.


In the line up, I kept moving back and forth between the 43-46 minute start and the 40-43 minute.  I ended up settling in the 40-43.  

After the usual long wait with a rolling start, it was time to go. I could see Jen and my parents off the left watching me. I acknowledged them, but was focused on my race.



Then, I was in the start chute and my race was underway.

The Swim

(Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
Everyone around me was wading gingerly into the water. I took a few big steps then went right for it.  I looked more bad ass in my head, but after seeing the video (and hearing my dad's commentary), I realized it didn't look as cool as I thought.


The water was very warm and I was glad to not have a wetsuit. I passed quite a few people and soon found myself with lots of room. 

Since the water was super flat, I went with my 5 count sighting pattern. I kept a tight line and was soon approaching the first turn buoy. It was a bit more crowded as we made the turn, but it was easily navigated.

After the first turn, there was a slight pull to the right. I adjusted and was able to swim past those taking a wider line.  

Turn 2 got crowded again and soon we were on the long swim back. There was still a slight pull to the right, but not as bad as before. The course was much more crowded now as people in front of me were slowing.


At one point, it looked like one of the buoys had floated off course. Some swimmers were going far left to go around it, but I knew from the course map this was wrong. I kept going straight.

Soon we were at the last turn. I made the turn and swam to shore. As usual, I swam past all the people wading through waist deep water. I swam all the way in and popped up as close to shore as I could.



There was a long uphill from the swim exit to T1 and I began to run it. I had to stop and resort to a walk as I started to wretch a bit.

As I made it up the hill, I saw Jen. I had asked her to give me my swim and T1 time (since my watch was on bike). She told me my time. It was not great, but not terrible.


I was a bit disappointed. I felt faster, but nothing I could do but keep focused and keep going.

At the top of the hill, I manage a jog. I followed the giant yellow Gatorade to my row and counted the 6 racks to my bike. I put on my helmet, compression calf sleeves (usually under my wetsuit but illegal to wear in a non-wetsuit swim), socks, shoes, sun glasses, bike, and was off.

I stopped for sunscreen the exited T1.

The Bike


As I exited T1, Jen told me my swim time, T1 time, and total time. I must have made a face, because I could hear my dad say, "It's alright. You'll make it up on the bike."

I ran to the mount line, got on my bike and was off.

The first part of the bike course was crowded as we rode out to Highway 35. My power was a bit higher than my target, but it had to be in order not to get a drafting penalty.

I rode past the first photographer and gave him a thumbs up.



I had 2 bottles and my aero bottle filled with 3 hours worth of INFINIT, a gel flask with some HUMA gel for extra calories, and salt pills for the extra heat/humidity. 

I hydrated and then went for some gel. The gel flask must have gotten too hot, because when I opened it, chocolate gel shot out all over my hand. Guess I was going to do the bike with sticky hands.

After some turns, we were out on the main highway and I settled into my power target. It felt like I was working harder than my power indicted, but I remembered that the first part of the bike was a slight uphill.

I was passed by alot of riders out on their second lap. This was good, it meant my second lap would be a bit more open. It was easy to know they were coming because I could hear the sound of their disc wheels.

Even though I had all I needed on board, I still went through the aid stations. At every aid station, I grabbed a water, took a few long swigs, then poured the rest over my back, chest, and legs to help with the heat.

 

Soon, we were at the turn around. I rode over the timing mat and thought about Jen, my parents, and all my teammates tracking me. 

The next part of the course was more downhill and I felt I was able to make up more time.

There was a long stretch of spectators who were all super encouraging.

Soon, I was at the end of the first loop. I made the turn and was out for my second loop.

I continued to maintain my power target and kept up with my hydration/nutrition plan.

As we closed in on the end of the second loop, a bee hit me in the face. The rider behind me saw it and asked if I was ok as he passed. I told him I was fine and it could have been much worse. Soon after, a bee flew right into my helmet. I could feel it buzzing around and frantically shook my helmet to try and get it out. Eventually, the bee flew out. Crisis averted. 


Soon we passed the turn around. With the second loop done, we turned left heading back toward transition.

In my mind, I was almost done, but there was still a long way back to transition. 

During this stretch, we rode up a slightly bigger hill. As I slowed, I could feel the heat on my back and arms. The run will be HOT.

Then, transition was in sight. I rode up to the mount line to the sound of Jen's cheers. I unclipped and made my way into T2. 

I ran into transition, found the giant yellow Gatorade and turned right. I made my way to my spot and racked my bike. I had everything I needed for the run a bag. The plan was to put on my shoes and race number, then grab the bag and run out of T2. I ended up just doing my usual slow and steady transition. 

I stopped to get more sunscreen before heading out on the run.


The Run


The first part of the run course was nothing but rolling hills. I had to walk up some of them to ease into the run after a great bike.

When I ran, I eased into a pace that felt comfortable. I looked at my watch and realized that it was a pace similar to Oceanside. If I kept this up, I would hit my goal.

As we ran along the lake, there was a group of boaters blaring music and cheering us on with a PA system. I knew their encouragement would be needed on the way back.

(Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
As we approached the first aid station, I remembered my race plan. I had INFINIT on my belt, as well as gels and salt pills. With the heat and humidity now turned up to 11, I made sure to get water at every aid station. My aid station routine consisted of: Grab 2 waters, drink one and pour the other over my head. Grab a cup of ice (or 2), pour half the ice down the front of my trisuit, and and pour the second half down the back. I did this for every aid station. 

I kept my pace up as best I could, only stopping to walk when I ate a gel or went through an aid station. I made sure to run in the shade when the scarcity of shade presented itself.

I saw the big American flag on the right and knew I was almost to the turn-around. The aid station at the turn-around was one of the best aid stations ever. All the volunteers were super encouraging, the music was loud, and we got everything we needed with little to no stopping. As I ran out of the turn-around party, a young boy gave me a fist bump and told me that I was an inspiration. This type of aid station is exactly what you would want at a halfway point.


I was still on track for a sub 3 hour run, but the second half of the run seemed to drain me the closer I got to the finish. The rollers were not big hills, but there were lots of them. In addition, the heat/humidity was in full Indiana blast.

I made it to the last 5k of the race and got a much needed pep talk from another young man at an aid station. I turned left and knew I was getting close. That mile felt so long, and soon I was at the last left turn. I knew I was close, but the closer I got to the finish, the bigger the hills got.

I began to think about how I would feel if I didn't hit my target. I told myself that if I missed my goal, that it would only be by a few minutes. It was a tough day and I would be proud of whatever result I ended up with.

With 2 miles to go, I told myself I would run the rest of the race. Yeah, that did not happen. I ran when I could, but my walk breaks increased. 

I passed the boats and got some much needed encouragement. That got me going until I hit another hill. 

As I walked up what was promised to be the last hill, I saw Jen. I said to the guy next to me, "There's my wife. I guess I should run."

Jen told me I needed to pick it up, but I told her I had very little left. She said I was so close. I thought she meant to the finish, but she meant for my goal time. She was about to tell me my race time, but I didn't want to hear it.

I ran over the hill and sprinted onto the grass into the (very long) finishers chute. I could feel my body tell me to stop, but I was so close, I had to keep going.


Halfway down the finisher chute I saw my mom cheering me on, and as I finished, I could hear my dad. Turns out that the 3 of them knew I was close to my goal and strategically placed themselves to cheer me all the way in.


I crossed the finish line with no pose or reaction. I was too tired. I saw the time on the clock and knew I was close to my goal, but all I wanted to do was get off my feet and out of the sun.


I got my medal, hat, and water. Jen and my dad met me outside the finisher area. Dad gave me a big hug and wanted to talk about the race. I told him it was nothing personal, but I needed some time. He understood.


I found some shade under a tree, sat, and drank my water. When I was ready, I asked Jen for the breakdown of my times. When she got to the overall time, she slowed down. "6 hours, 59 minutes, 35 seconds," At the time I thought it was a PB, but after looking back, I realize that I was off by 43 seconds. 

My swim was not great, but it was non wetsuit swim so I'll take it. I got a new PB on the bike and met my bike goal. The run was HOT with no shade and I did not hit my run goal. But I did hit my overall goal of under 7 hours and only missed a PB by 43 seconds.



All in all, I am still extremely happy with my results. I will continuing to keep up with my training, with a focus on weight loss, running, and transitions. I feel that even with an average run time, if my transitions were a bit faster, I could have hit that 43 seconds.


After the race, we spent several days in Indianapolis visiting with family. All in all, a great little vacation.




Thanks for taking the time to read this race report.  Next race is the Cultus Lake Triathlon (half iron distance) in September. I've done the Olympic distance at this race twice and feel confident I can get a great result here as well.

1 comment :